Mining Product: Miner Mike Saves the Day! or Ground Support... It's Important!
Original creation date: January 2000
Miner Mike Saves the Day! or Ground Support... It's Important! exudes both humor and wisdom. Filmed in six different underground locations, the video teaches the necessity and use of ground supports. The video uses actual hard rock miners to teach the videos' protagonists (Jeff and Jason) about this important feature. This video was the winner of the NIOSH 2001 Alice Hamilton Award for Excellence in Educational Materials.
The YouTube video, a zip file containing the WMV video file and SRT captions file, and the orderable DVD are available.
Total runtime: 33:31 minutes.
Authors: ET Cullen
Audience: Underground miners
Video - January 2000
NIOSHTIC2 Number: 20024267
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2000-150d, video, 2000 Jan
This video can be streamed from YouTube or a ZIP file containing a WMV file and a SRT closed caption file can be downloaded for local playback when streaming is not feasible. To use the ZIP file, download it to your computer and expand the contents into a folder of your choice. The SRT caption file will provide closed captions when using a compatible media player.
- ARBS - Analysis of Roof Bolt Systems - 2.5.02
- Diagnosing and Controlling Moisture-Sensitive Roof in Coal Mines
- The Introduction of Roof Bolting to U.S. Underground Coal Mines (1948-1960): A Cautionary Tale
- Modernization and Further Development of the NIOSH Mine Emergency Response Training System (MERITS), Phase 1
- New Support Concepts for Hard Rock Mining Applications
- Optimizing Secondary Roof Support with the NIOSH Support Technology Optimization Program (STOP)
- Preventing Injuries Caused by Unrecognized Stone Mine Roof Beam Failures With a Pro-Active Roof Control Plan
- Refuge Alternatives in Underground Coal Mines
- Roof Span Design for Underground Stone Mines
- Wireless Mesh Mine Communication System
- Page last reviewed: 11/14/2016
- Page last updated: 11/12/2013
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program