Mining Product: Roof Fall Entrapment: Eyewitness Account by Dave Murone
Original creation date: January 1992
In this videotape, Dave Murone tells about the experience of having to recover the body of a friend who was killed by a roof fall. The individual who was killed was inby supports at the time of the accident. Dave speculates on why his friend was under unsupported top and discusses the effect that witnessing this accident had on him. An instructor's guide is included to help you use the tape as part of an effective training session.
This video would be beneficial for use with anyone who works underground. It would be particularly useful for training new miners. The instructor's guide contains suggestions to help you use the tape as part of an effective training session.
Skills reviewed: Emergency first response.
- DVD Video (10 minutes) - This video can be ordered from the Mine Safety and Health Administration at its web site listed below.
- Instructor's Guide: Roof Fall Entrapment Videotape, Dave Murone's Account
Authors: U.S. Bureau of Mines
Audience: Underground miners and new miners
- Diagnosing and Controlling Moisture-Sensitive Roof in Coal Mines
- Effects of Far-Field Shearing Deformation on Fracturing Around an Underground Opening
- The Introduction of Roof Bolting to U.S. Underground Coal Mines (1948-1960): A Cautionary Tale
- Optimizing Secondary Roof Support with the NIOSH Support Technology Optimization Program (STOP)
- Origin of Mining-Induced Fractures Through Macroscale Distortion
- Preventing Injuries Caused by Unrecognized Stone Mine Roof Beam Failures With a Pro-Active Roof Control Plan
- Roof and Rib Fall Incident Trends: a 10-Year Profile
- Roof Fall Entrapment: Eyewitness Account by Larry Strayer
- Technique to Assess Hazards in Underground Stone Mines: the Roof Fall Risk Index (RFRI)
- Underground Coal Mine Disasters 1900-2010: Events, Responses, and a Look to the Future
- Page last reviewed: 10/30/2017
- Page last updated: 10/7/2014
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program