Mining Contract: Mine Communications Engineering and Compatibility Guidelines
The Federal Communications Commission maintains tight regulation of the radio spectrum due to the extreme importance of this resource to the public, business, government, and the military. These regulations are codified in Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
Unfortunately, these rules are silent about underground radio systems except that they may not interfere with systems operating legally above ground. The emergence of underground wireless communications and tracking systems in response to the MINER Act of 2006 will require guidance to ensure that:
The Department of Defense Joint Spectrum Center (JSC) will search its database of all classified and unclassified systems that may be adaptable to underground use, make recommendations for electromagnetic compatibility, and develop models for estimating wireless coverage in underground mines.
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is complete. To receive a copy of the final report, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JSC delivered the following reports over the course of the contract:
- Underground Mine Wireless Communications Compatibility Standards Recommendations
- Minimum Required Separation Distance Calculations for EMR hazards
- Equipment Database search report
- Propagation Modeling Report
- Draft Communications and Tracking Plan Form and Instruction booklet
- Draft Communications and Tracking Tutorial
One recommendation from this work is that mine equipment should comply with electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) guidelines as specified by MIL-STD-461F but be tailored for underground mine operations. No such requirements currently exist for underground mine equipment.
Issues were also identified with current standards and regulations in use by both OSHA and MSHA when considering deployment of blasting caps in underground coal mines around radio transmissions.
- Basic Tutorial on Wireless Communication and Electronic Tracking: Technology Overview
- Emergency Communications and Tracking
- Propagation of EM Signals in Underground Metal/Non-Metal Mines
- Propagation of EM Signals in Underground Mines
- Radio System Modifications for Improved Mine Safety (Medium Frequency)
- Technology News 544 - New Measurement Tool to Validate Wireless Communications and Tracking Radio Signal Coverage in Mines
- Through-The-Earth Wireless Real-Time Two-Way Voice Communications
- Transmit Antennas for Portable VLF to MF Wireless Mine Communications
- Underground Mine Communications
- Wireless Mesh Mine Communication System
- Page last reviewed: 7/19/2016
- Page last updated: 7/19/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program