COVID-19 Information for the Workplace
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The following resources are available from CDC/NIOSH to assist with personal protective equipment (PPE) use during the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit NIOSH’s Personal Protective Equipment page for more information on PPE.
Healthcare-Specific PPE Use Guidance
Healthcare personnel should refer to infection prevention and control recommendations and guidance for caring for patients with confirmed or possible COVID-19 for additional guidance related to PPE recommendations.
- Using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Personal Protective Equipment
General PPE Guidance
How to Properly Use PPE
Optimizing PPE Supply
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment in Healthcare Settings
- Recommended Guidance for Extended Use and Limited Reuse of N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators in Healthcare Settings
- Considerations for Release of Stockpiled N95s Beyond the Manufacturer-Designated Shelf Life
- Factors to Consider When Planning to Purchase Respirators from Another Country
- Decontamination and Reuse of Filtering Facepiece Respirators
- Strategies for respirator shortages in non-healthcare sectors
To track how quickly personal protective equipment is being used, download our free calculator or mobile app:
The following resources include a list of NIOSH-approved N95 respirators, the differences between N95 respirators and surgical masks, use guidelines, and information on fit-testing.
NIOSH-Approved N95 Respirators
Differences between N95 Respirators and Surgical Masks
How to Use Respirators
- Infographic: Important Steps for Using NIOSH-Approved N95 Filtering Facepiece Respiratorspdf icon
- Infographic: Three Key Factors Required for a Respirator to be Effectivepdf icon
- Infographic: How to Properly Put on and Take off a Disposable Respirator
- Factsheet: Frequently asked questions about Respiratory Protection: Fit Testingpdf icon
- Filtering out Confusion: Frequently Asked Questions about Respiratory Protection, User Seal Checkexternal icon
- NIOSH Science Blog: The Need for Fit Testing During Emerging Infectious Disease Outbreaks
NIOSH Respirator Assessments
NIOSH has received several requests to assess respirators to support the COVID-19 response.