NATIONAL CAMPAIGN TO PREVENT FALLS IN CONSTRUCTION
The National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction was launched in 2012 through the NORA Construction Sector Council with leadership from NIOSH, OSHA and CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training. The annual observance is marked nationwide by Safety Stand-Downs.
Join the campaign and take part in the 2020 National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction September 14-18external icon.
A variety of campaign materials are available (in Spanish and English) to raise awareness about construction falls and to provide practical information about fall prevention on OSHA’s official Campaign websiteexternal icon. Products include Stand-Down planning tools, fact sheets, infographics, training materials (including toolbox talks), videos, hazard alert cards, and more.
Each year, NIOSH, CPWR, along with the NORA Construction Sector Council Falls Working Group work together to develop a new series of infographics in English and Spanish. View and download the infographics as PDFs or JPEGs for use in social media, presentations, and print materials.
Watch our CDC playlist of videos that gives insight into fall safety in the construction industry through many perspectives, from federal programs, to owners, to safety professionals, to workers. In 2019, NIOSH expanded its video series to include OSHA: Protecting NYC Workers from Falls, Partners in Safety: An Insurance and Small Business Perspective, Protecting Our Workers – A Business Perspective, and Kentucky FACE State Program – Protecting Our Workers. Also encourage you to check out the CPWR playlist of videos on fall hazards and prevention.
- Contractors and workers can plan together, before every job, to work safely at heights.
- Contractors must provide the right equipment for working at heights, and workers need to use that equipment.
- Contractors and workers need to be trained to use the equipment and to work safely.
- To become a Campaign partner and/or access materials and resources, visit our main Campaign siteexternal icon
- To get information on the National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Constructionexternal icon
- 2019 NIOSH Stand-Down Press Release
- 2019 NIOSH Science Blog: Construction Fall Fatalities Still Highest Among All Industries: What more can we do?
- NIOSH Ladder Safety App
- NIOSH Aerial Lift Simulator (new 2019 boom lift scenario)
- NIOSH FACE (Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation) Program: Search “Residential Construction Falls” or “Commercial Construction Falls” to see factors that led to those fatal injuries and recommendation for preventing similar deaths.
- NIOSH falls-related research