National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction
The National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction was launched in 2012 through the NORA Construction Sector Council with leadership from NIOSH, OSHA and CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training. Each year as part of the campaign, a National Stand-Down is held to focus on fall prevention. Falls are the number one cause of construction-worker fatalities, accounting for one-third of all on-the-job deaths in the industry.
A variety of campaign materials are available (in Spanish and English) to raise awareness about construction falls and to provide practical information about fall prevention on OSHA’s official Campaign website. Products include Stand-Down planning tools, fact sheets, infographics, training materials (including toolbox talks), videos, hazard alert cards, and more.
Each year, NIOSH, CPWR, along with the NORA Construction Sector Council Falls Working Group work together to develop a new series of infographics in English and Spanish. View and download the infographics as PDFs or JPEGs for use in social media, presentations, and print materials.
Watch our 2022 Stand-Down Kickoff Video featuring: NIOSH, OSHA, CPWR. Watch our CDC playlist of videos that gives insight into fall safety in the construction industry through many perspectives, from federal programs, to owners, to safety professionals, to workers. For a Spanish only CDC Construction Safety & Health video playlist click here. Also encourage you to check out the CPWR playlist of videos on fall hazards and prevention.
- Contractors and workers can plan together, before every job, to work safely at heights.
- Contractors must provide the right equipment for working at heights, and workers need to use that equipment.
- Contractors and workers need to be trained to use the equipment and to work safely.
- To become a Campaign partner and/or access materials and resources, visit our main Campaign site
- To get information on the National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction
- 2022 NIOSH Press Release
- New2022 Stand-Down Kickoff Video featuring: NIOSH, OSHA, CPWR
- New2022 NIOSH Science Blog: Falls Campaign 2022: Making Research Work | Blogs | CDC
- New2022 CDC Feature: Prevent Construction Falls
- NIOSH Ladder Safety App
- Mast Climbing Work Platform Daily Inspection Walkthrough Tool
- NIOSH Aerial Lift Simulator
- NIOSH FACE (Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation) Program: Search “Residential Construction Falls” or “Commercial Construction Falls” to see factors that led to those fatal injuries and recommendation for preventing similar deaths.
- NIOSH falls-related research