Investigation Update on the Celebrity Summit
Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises
Cruise Ship: Celebrity Summit
Voyage Dates: May 15–May 25, 2023
Voyage number: 58978
Number of passengers who reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 152 of 2,144 (7.09%)
Number of crew who reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 25 of 963 (2.60%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and headache
Causative agents: norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Celebrity Cruises and the crew onboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to the ship’s outbreak prevention and response plan.
- Notified current guests of the situation onboard and encouraged illness reporting and good hand hygiene.
- Collected and sent stool specimens from gastrointestinal illness cases to the CDC laboratory.
- Provided twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP during the outbreak investigation.
- Consulted with VSP about sanitation cleaning procedures and reporting ill cases.
- Notified embarking guests of the situation onboard and encouraged illness reporting and good hand hygiene.
VSP monitored the situation and the ship’s outbreak response and sanitation procedures.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
Learn how passengers can protect themselves with these tips for healthy cruising.