Investigation Update on the Carnival Splendor
Cruise Line: Carnival Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Carnival Splendor
Voyage Dates: May 24–31, 2022
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 77 of 2,109 (3.65%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 16 of 1,079 (1.48%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting and diarrhea
Causative agent: norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Carnival Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to the ship’s outbreak prevention and response plan.
- Collecting stool specimens from passengers and/or crew gastrointestinal illness cases.
- Sent twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP.
- Isolating ill passengers and crew.
- Consulted with VSP about sanitation cleaning procedures and reporting ill cases.
VSP monitored the situation and the ship’s outbreak response and sanitation procedures.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
Learn how passengers can protect themselves with these tips for healthy cruising