Investigation Update on the Caribbean Princess
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Caribbean Princess
Voyage Dates: February 16–March 1, 2020
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 240 of 3,039 (7.9%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 19 of 1,162 (1.6%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting and diarrhea
Causative agent: unknown
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Completing intense cleanings of the vessel on February 21 and 23.
- Increasing cleaning and sanitation procedures implemented according to outbreak prevention and response plan.
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger and/or crew gastrointestinal illness cases.
- Making emergency department announcements 3 times daily in addition to daily Captain’s announcement.
- Sending daily gastrointestinal illness reports to VSP and Caribbean public health port authorities.
VSP is sending an investigation team to investigate the causative agent and assist with preventing further spread of illness.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
Learn how passengers can protect themselves with these tips for healthy cruising.