Investigation Update on the Conquest
Cruise Line: Carnival Cruise Line
Cruise Ship: Conquest
Voyage Dates: September 7–14, 2019
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 17 of 3,241 (0.52%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 35 of 1,158 (3.02%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea, vomiting
Causative agent: norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Carnival Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger and/or crew gastrointestinal illness cases for rapid, onboard testing.
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP.
- Isolating ill passengers and crew.
- Implementing increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to the ship’s outbreak prevention and response plan.
- Consulting with VSP on plans for their comprehensive sanitation cleaning procedures in Miami, Florida, on September 14, 2019.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
Learn how passengers can protect themselves with these tips for healthy cruising.