Investigation Update on the Queen Victoria
Cruise Line: Cunard Line
Cruise Ship: Queen Victoria
Voyage Dates: February 21–March 9, 2018
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 65 of 1,901 (3.42%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 9 of 968 (0.93%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea
Causative agent: unknown
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Cunard Line and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan.
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing.
- Making twice-daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP.
A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer and an epidemiologist will board the ship in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, on March 9, 2018, to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
- Page last reviewed: March 8, 2018
- Page last updated: March 8, 2018
- Content source: