Investigation Update on the Pearl Mist
Cruise Line: V. Ships Leisure U.S.A.
Cruise Ship: Pearl Mist
Voyage Dates: September 1–12, 2018
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 6 of 196 (3.06%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 0 of 69 (0.0%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: unknown
Actions: The CDC Vessel Sanitation Program is working with Public Health Canada to monitor the situation and the ship’s response procedures. In response to the outbreak, V. Ships Leisure U.S.A. and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan.
- Making multiple daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to Public Health Canada.
- Undergoing comprehensive environmental health and disinfection procedures in Montreal, Canada.
The CDC Vessel Sanitation Program is monitoring the outbreak and the ship’s response procedures. Specimens have been collected and tested onboard using a norovirus rapid test; results were positive for norovirus. The specimens will be sent to CDC for additional testing.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
- Page last reviewed: September 17, 2018
- Page last updated: September 17, 2018
- Content source: