Investigation Update on the Azamara Quest
Cruise Line: Azamara Club Cruises
Cruise Ship: Azamara Quest
Voyage Dates: January 25–February 8, 2018
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 20 of 663 (3.01%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 2 of 458 (0.44%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: unknown
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Azamara Club Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan.
- Collected stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing.
- Made twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP.
- Planned and executed comprehensive sanitation procedures in San Diego, California, on February 8, 2018.
Specimens have been collected and will be sent to CDC for testing. CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program will continue to monitor the ship into the next voyage and provide support as needed.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
- Page last reviewed: February 8, 2018
- Page last updated: February 8, 2018
- Content source: