Investigation Update on the Coral Princess
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Coral Princess
Voyage Dates: March 8 - March 18, 2017
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 157 of 2,016 (7.79%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 25 of 881 (2.84 %)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus (suspected)
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan;
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing;
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP;
- Consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, on March 18, 2017.
A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer will board the ship in Ft. Lauderdale on March 18 to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
- Page last reviewed: March 15, 2017
- Page last updated: March 20, 2017
- Content source: