Investigation Update on the Regatta
Cruise Line:Oceania Cruises
Cruise Ship: Regatta
Voyage Dates: March 29 – April 14, 2016
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 23 of 639 (3.60%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 1 of 397 (0.25%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea
Causative agent: norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Oceania Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan;
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger acute gastroenteritis (AGE) cases for testing;
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP.
A member of the cruise line’s public health team was sent to the ship to assist. CDC Vessel Sanitation Program is monitoring the outbreak and the ship’s response procedures. Specimens have been collected and will be sent to CDC for additional testing.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
- Page last reviewed: April 3, 2017
- Page last updated: April 13, 2017
- Content source: