Investigation Update on the Crown Princess
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Crown Princess
Voyage Dates: October 25 – November 8, 2017
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 184 of 2,957 (6.22%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 12 of 1,173 (1.02%)
Predominant symptoms: diarrhea
Causative agent: unknown
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing, and
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP.
A CDC VSP epidemiologist and environmental health officer will board the ship in Norfolk, Virginia, on November 5 to conduct an epidemiological and environmental health investigation.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
- Page last reviewed: November 3, 2017
- Page last updated: November 9, 2017
- Content source: