Investigation Update on the Celebrity Reflection
Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises
Cruise Ship: Celebrity Reflection
Voyage Dates: November 17 – 27, 2017
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 173 of 3,034 (5.7%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 3 of 1,240 (0.24%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Celebrity Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing,
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to VSP, and
- Sent members of the cruise line public health and shore side operation support teams to assist with ongoing sanitation procedures and public health prevention measures.
CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officers boarded the ship in Ft. Lauderdale on November 27 to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities.
Note: The gastrointestinal illness cases reported are totals for the entire voyage and do not represent the number of active (symptomatic) gastrointestinal cases at any given port of call or at disembarkation.
- Page last reviewed: November 27, 2017
- Page last updated: February 21, 2018
- Content source: