Investigation Update on the Ocean Princess
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Princess Cruises
Cruise Ship: Ocean Princess
Voyage Dates: February 13 – March 7, 2016*
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 63 of 603 (10.45%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 7 of 385 (1.82%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus and Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing,
- Making daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,
CDC Vessel Sanitation Program is monitoring the outbreak and the ship’s response procedures. Specimens have been collected and will be sent to CDC for additional testing.
* The ship leaves the United States on March 7, 2016, for dry dock.
- Page last reviewed: February 29, 2016 (archived document)
- Content source: