Investigation Update on the Celebrity Infinity
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruises
Cruise Ship: Celebrity Infinity
Voyage Dates: March 29 - April 13, 2015
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 106 of 2117 (5.00%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 6 of 964 (0.62%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Celebrity Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Making announcements to notify onboard passengers and crew of the outbreak, encourage case reporting, and encourage good hand hygiene,
- Collected 8 stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing by CDC,
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,
- Sending corporate management, hotel, and housekeeping team to assist the onboard management with infection control response plan,
- Is consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in San Diego, CA on April 13, 2015, including:
- providing additional cleaning crew to complete a thorough public and accommodation super-sanitization cleaning and disinfection,
- planning staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests, and
- planning for sanitation of terminal and transport infection control procedures.
One CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer and one epidemiologist have boarded the ship in San Diego, CA on April 13, 2015 to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Specimens have been collected and have been tested by CDC to determine the causative agent for this outbreak is norovirus.
- Page last reviewed: April 10, 2015 (archived document)
- Content source: