Investigation Update on the Crystal Symphony
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Cruise Line: Crystal Cruises
Cruise Ship: Crystal Symphony
Voyage Dates: April 29 to May 6, 2013
Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 125 of 816 (15.32%)
Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 22 of 571 (3.85%)
Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea
Causative agent: Norovirus
Actions: In response to the outbreak, Crystal Cruises and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:
- Increased staff to carry out intensified cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
- Collected stool specimens from ill passengers and crew for testing,
- Making announcements to both notify onboard passengers of the outbreak and encourage case reporting,
- Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,
- Consulting with CDC on plans for:
- Passenger notification procedures and the planned delayed embarkation schedule in Los Angeles on 6 May,
- Disembarkation plans for active cases, terminal and transport infection control procedures.
Two CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officers boarded the ship on arrival in Los Angeles, CA on May 6, 2013 to conduct a targeted environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Clinical specimens have been sent to the CDC lab for testing.