For Swimmers and Hot Tub Users
Water-based exercise offers numerous health benefits, but is also associated with health risks (for example, diarrhea, drowning, and sunburn). For swimmers and hot tub users to enjoy a safe recreational water experience, it is important for them to know how to protect themselves and others from potential health hazards.
Protect Yourself and Others
Swimmer Protection Resources
- Health Promotion Materials (Brochures, Fact Sheets, Podcasts, Posters, Videos/TV)
- Steps of Healthy Swimming
Steps of protecting swimmers against recreational water illnesses (RWIs).
- Triple A’s of Healthy Swimming
Information to help activist swimmers take the lead in preventing RWIs at their swimming facility.
- Pool User Tips Fact Sheet
Look; ask; act; practice...tips for preventing RWIs this summer when using the pool.
- Hot Tub User Tips Fact Sheet
Heed; observe; talk...tips for preventing RWIs when using the hot tub or spa.
- Pool and Spa (Hot Tub) Test Strips Home Test Instructions
Instructions for using pool and hot tub/spa test strips at home.
- Inflatable and Plastic Pools (Kiddie Pools)
- Swim Diapers and Swim Pants
- Breastfeeding in Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas
- Water Play Areas and Interactive Fountains
- State Healthy Swimming Information
- Animals and Pools
- Diarrhea and Swimming
- Pinworm and Swimming
- PoolSafely.gov: Parents & Families
For information on specific recreational water illnesses, visit the Recreational Water Illnesses (RWIs) page.