Vomit and Blood on Pool Surfaces
Blood and vomit can spread germs at pools. When they end up on a pool surface or pool deck, clean and disinfect the area immediately using the procedures described below.
Disinfecting with Bleach
One of the most commonly used chemicals for disinfection is a homemade solution of household bleach and water. Mix a fresh batch before each cleanup to make sure it is effective, as bleach and water solutions lose their strength quickly.
Recipe for Bleach Disinfecting Solution
- 9 parts cool water
- 1 part household bleach
Add the household bleach to the water and gently mix them together.
Clean-up Procedure Using Bleach Solution
- Block off the area from patrons until cleanup and disinfection is complete.
- Put on disposable gloves to prevent contamination of hands.
- Wipe up the blood or vomit using paper towels or other absorbent material. Put the trash in a plastic garbage bag.
- Gently pour the bleach solution onto the contaminated surface(s).
- Leave the bleach solution on the contaminated surface(s) for 20 minutes.
- Wipe up the bleach solution using paper towels or other absorbent material. Put the trash in a plastic garbage bag.
- Disinfect cleaning materials that cannot be thrown away, such as mops and scrub brushes, by covering them with the bleach solution and letting them air dry.
- Remove the gloves and place them in a plastic garbage bag.
- Double-bag and securely tie up all plastic garbage bags. Throw them away.