Map: Good Health and Wellness in Indian Country Recipients
Good Health and Wellness in Indian Country (GHWIC) is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) largest investment to improve American Indian and Alaskan Native (AI/AN) tribal health and is focused on health promotion and chronic disease prevention.
CDC funds 27 GHWIC recipients across three components. (CDC-RFA-DP19-1903)
View the full list of subawardees and their sites.
Component one funds tribes and Urban Indian Organizations and implements strategies to prevent chronic diseases.
Component two funds Tribal Organizations; each allocates at least half of their funds to at least four tribes in their area. This expands the program’s reach to 130+ tribes to further implement strategies to prevent chronic diseases. View the full list of subawardees and their sites.
Component three funds one Tribal Organization, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium Inc., to serve as a program-wide coordinating center supporting peer learning, evaluation, and communication across all Component One and Two recipients.
Current GHWIC recipients are listed below and shown on the map, broken down by program component with city and state. Visit the sites below for more information on each awardee.
(Tribes and Urban Indian Organizations)
- Catawba Indian Nationexternal icon (Rock Hill, SC)
- Central Oklahoma American Indian Health Council, Inc.external icon* (Oklahoma City, OK)
- Cherokee Nationexternal icon (Tahlequah, OK)
- Fort Peck Community College (Fort Peck Assinibione and Sioux tribes)external icon (Poplar, MT)
- Gerald L. Ignace Indian Health Center, Inc.external icon* (Milwaukee, WI)
- Native Americans for Communication Action, Inc.external icon * (Flagstaff, AZ)
- Navajo Nationexternal icon (Window Rock, AZ)
- Pascua Yaqui Tribe of Arizonaexternal icon (Tucson, AZ)
- Pinoleville Pomo Nationexternal icon (Ukiah, CA)
- Qawalangin Tribe of Unalaska (Unalaska, AK)
- Santo Domingo Tribe-Kewa Health Outreach Program (Santo Domingo Pueblo, NM)
- Sault Sainte Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indiansexternal icon (Sault Ste. Marie, MI)
- Three Affiliated Tribesexternal icon (New Town, ND)
- Urban Indian Center of Salt Lakeexternal icon* (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Washoe Tribe of Nevada and Californiaexternal icon (Gardnerville, NV)
- Yellowhawk Tribal Health Centerexternal icon (Pendleton, OR)
*Urban Indian Organizations
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium Inc.external icon (Anchorage, AK)
- Albuquerque Area Indian Health Boardexternal icon (Albuquerque, NM)
- California Rural Indian Health Board Inc.external icon (Roseville, CA)
- Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Councilexternal icon (Lac Du Flambeau, WI)
- Great Plains Tribal Chairmen’s Health Boardexternal icon (Rapid City, SD)
- Inter Tribal Council of Arizona Inc.external icon (Phoenix, AZ)
- Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Boardexternal icon (Portland, OR)
- Rocky Mountain Tribal Leaders Councilexternal icon (Billings, MT)
- Seattle Indian Health Board – UIHIexternal icon (Seattle, WA)
- Southern Plains Tribal Health Board Foundationexternal icon (Oklahoma City, OK)
- United South and Eastern Tribes Inc.external icon (Nashville, TN)
(Coordinating Center for GHWIC)
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortiumexternal icon (Anchorage, AK)