Types of Infection
Español: Tipos de infección
Among babies, there are 2 main types of group B strep (GBS) disease:
- Early-onset — occurs during the first week of life.
- Late-onset — occurs from the first week through three months of life.
Early-onset disease used to be the most common type of GBS disease in babies. Today, because of effective early-onset disease prevention, early- and late-onset disease occur at similarly low rates.
For early-onset disease, GBS most commonly causes:
- Bacteremia (bloodstream infection) and sepsis (the body’s extreme response to an infection)
- Pneumonia (lung infection)
- Meningitis (infection of the tissue covering the brain and spinal cord)
Similar illnesses are associated with late-onset GBS disease. However, meningitis is more common with late-onset GBS disease than with early-onset GBS disease.
- Page last reviewed: May 29, 2018
- Page last updated: May 29, 2018
- Content source: