Federal advisory committees are a key component of CDC’s overall strategy to achieve stakeholder and public engagement in its efforts and commitment to improve people’s health. The Federal Advisory Committee Act (P.L. 92-463) provides a mechanism for experts and stakeholders to participate in the decision-making process, offering advice and recommendations to the federal government as members of advisory committees. The important contributions made by federal advisory committees are overseen at the highest levels of government: Congress, the President of the United States, and the General Services Administrator (through authority delegated by the president). At CDC, advisory committee activity is overseen by the Strategic Business Initiatives Unit (SBI) Federal Advisory Committee Management Program.
Currently, federal advisory committees provide advice and recommendations on a broad range of public health issues to help the agency achieve its mission to promote health and quality of life by preventing and controlling disease, injury, and disability. Among the program areas our committees deliberate on are occupational and environmental health, healthcare infection control and clinical laboratory standards, smoking, breast and cervical cancer, HIV, STDs, and tuberculosis, childhood and adult immunizations, and injury prevention and control.
Please see the list of advisory committees below for detailed information.
- Advisory Board on Radiation and Worker Health (ABRWH)
- Advisory Committee on Breast Cancer in Young Women (ACBCYW)
- Advisory Committee to the Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (ACD, CDC)
- Advisory Council for the Elimination of Tuberculosis (ACET)
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)
- Board of Scientific Counselors Infectious Diseases (BSC ID)
- Board of Scientific Counselors, National Center for Health Statistics (BSC, NCHS)
- Board of Scientific Counselors, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (BSC, NCIPC)
- Board of Scientific Counselors, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (BSC, NIOSH)
- Board of Scientific Counselors, Office of Readiness and Response (BSC, ORR)
- CDC/HRSA Advisory Committee on HIV, Viral Hepatitis and STD Prevention and Treatment (CHAC)
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Advisory Committee (CLIAC)