Infographic: Be Ready! Hurricanes
Be Ready! Hurricanes
- Cover windows with storm shutters or plywood.
- Tune in for local information.
- Know how to turn off your gas, electricity, and water in case you need to evacuate.
- Secure outdoor items by moving them to the garage.
- Make an emergency kit.
- Designate a shelter area if you can’t evacuate. Rooms without windows are best.
- If your home has damage, do not reenter until it has been examined by a building inspector for safety.
- Prevent mold growth; by airing out rooms and disinfecting.
- Tap water may not be safe to drink. Listen to local warnings. More information
- Throw away food that may be unsafe. More information
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Use generators, stoves, and grills outside and away from windows and doors.
Page last reviewed: December 21, 2020, 09:50 AM
Content source: Center for Preparedness and Response