Documentation for U.S. Data (2001–2018)
U.S. Cancer Statistics Public Use Database
Two United States Cancer Statistics public use databases are available for researchers: the U.S. (2001–2018) database, described in this section, and the U.S. and Puerto Rico (2005–2018) database.
The U.S. (2001–2018) database—
- Includes race and ethnicity variables.
- Does not include Puerto Rico data.
- The population denominators are race-specific, ethnicity-specific, and sex-specific county population estimates from the U.S. Census (July 1, 2010–2019 bridged–race vintage 2019 population estimates), modified by SEER and aggregated to the state and national levels.
For cases diagnosed from 2003 through 2017, 100% of the population is covered for all 50 states and the District of Columbia. In 2001 and 2002, cases that were diagnosed in Mississippi are not available and in 2018, cases that were diagnosed in Nevada are not available. The U.S. population covered for each of those three years is 99%. The U.S. population coverage for 2001 through 2018 is 98%.
Please use these standard citations for tables and figures when presented in presentations or publications.
For population coverage: Data are from population-based registries that participate in CDC’s National Program of Cancer Registries and/or NCI’s Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program and meet high-quality data criteria. These registries cover approximately [XX]% of the U.S. population.
For age-adjusted rates: Rates are per 100,000 persons and are age-adjusted to the 2000 U.S. standard population (19 age groups – Census P25–1130).
For the database: National Program of Cancer Registries and Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program SEER*Stat Database: NPCR and SEER Incidence – U.S. Cancer Statistics 2001–2018 Public Use Research Database, 2020 submission (2001–2018), United States Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute. Released June 2021. Available at www.cdc.gov/cancer/uscs/public-use.
- U.S. Cancer Statistics 2001–2017 Public Use Database Data Standards and Data Dictionary [PDF-1MB]
- U.S. Cancer Statistics 2001–2016 Public Use Database Data Standards and Data Dictionary pdf icon[PDF-1MB]
- U.S. Cancer Statistics 2001–2015 Public Use Database Data Standards and Data Dictionary pdf icon[PDF-890KB]
- U.S. Cancer Statistics 2001–2014 Public Use Database Data Standards and Data Dictionary pdf icon[PDF-978KB]
- National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) Public Use Research Data — Data Standards and Data Dictionary (diagnosis years 2001–2013) pdf icon[PDF-1.3MB]