U.S. and Puerto Rico Data Change History
U.S. Cancer Statistics Public Use Database
Changes to the data by each release date are listed on this page.
- Data describing the type of surgery to the primary site performed as part of the first course of treatment (Rx summary – surgery primary site variable) is only available for diagnosis years 2010 or later.
Three changes were made to Merged Summary Stage—
- Testis cases diagnosed in 2018 and 2019 are excluded. In the database released in June 2021, stage data for all testis cases were excluded.
- Myeloma and leukemia cases are included. In the database released in June 2021, stage data for all myeloma and leukemia cases were excluded.
- For brain and central nervous system cases, if the behavior was coded as benign or borderline, then the variable was set to benign/borderline.
- To protect confidentiality further while allowing access to all cases, the Type of Reporting Source variable is not included in the database. Excluding this variable allows cases identified through death certificates and autopsy reports to be included in the database. This change means that statistics calculated using the public use database now match statistics in the U.S. Cancer Statistics Data Visualizations and CDC WONDER tools.
- Two revised site recode variables were added—
- The following variables were added—
- Grade clinical (available for cases diagnosed in 2018 or later)
- Grade pathological (available for cases diagnosed in 2018 or later)
- Merged estrogen receptor (available for breast cancer cases). This variable replaces CS Site Specific Factor 1 for breast cancers.
- Merged progesterone receptor (available for breast cancer cases). This variable replaces CS Site Specific Factor 2 for breast cancers.
- Merged HER2 summary (available for breast cancer cases diagnosed in 2010 or later). This variable replaces CS Site Specific Factor 15 for breast cancers.