Documentation for U.S. and Puerto Rico Data (2005–2017)
U.S. Cancer Statistics Public Use Database
Two United States Cancer Statistics public use databases are available for researchers: the U.S. and Puerto Rico (2005–2017) database, described in this section, and the U.S. (2001–2017) database.
The U.S. and Puerto Rico (2005–2017) database—
- Does not include race and ethnicity variables.
- Includes Puerto Rico data.
- The population denominators are sex-specific, are from the 2010 U.S. Census, and are not available by race or ethnicity.
For cases diagnosed from 2005 through 2017, 100% of the population is covered for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico’s 2017 incidence counts are restricted to the first six months of reported data (January to June 2017). Data from July to December 2017 are excluded to account for the population shift that occurred due to Hurricane Maria. The population denominators were adjusted by dividing the U.S. Bureau of the Census’s July 1, 2017 (vintage 2018) Puerto Rico population estimate in half.
Please use these standard citations for tables and figures when presented in presentations or publications.
For population coverage: Data are from population-based registries that participate in CDC’s National Program of Cancer Registries and/or NCI’s Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program and meet high-quality data criteria. These registries cover approximately [XX]% of the U.S. population.
For age-adjusted rates: Rates are per 100,000 persons and are age-adjusted to the 2000 U.S. standard population (19 age groups – Census P25–1130).
For the database: National Program of Cancer Registries and Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results SEER*Stat Database: NPCR and SEER Incidence – U.S. Cancer Statistics 2005–2017 Public Use Research Database, 2019 submission (2005–2017), United States Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute. Released June 2020. Available at www.cdc.gov/cancer/uscs/public-use.
- U.S. Cancer Statistics 2005–2017 Public Use Database Data Standards and Data Dictionary [PDF-8.4MB]
- U.S. Cancer Statistics 2005–2016 Public Use Database Data Standards and Data Dictionary pdf icon[PDF-8MB]
- U.S. Cancer Statistics 2005–2015 Public Use Database Data Standards and Data Dictionary pdf icon[PDF-789KB]
- U.S. Cancer Statistics 2005–2014 Public Use Database Data Standards and Data Dictionary pdf icon[PDF-834KB]