Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
To date, CDC received COVID-19 supplemental funding through three congressional acts:
- Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020 (P.L. 116-123): P.L. 116-123 provided $2.2 billion to CDC to prevent, prepare for and respond to COVID-19 domestically and internationally.
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (P.L. 116-136): P.L. 116-136 provided CDC $4.3 billion and ATSDR $12.5 million to prevent, prepare for and respond to COVID-19 domestically and internationally.
- Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act (P.L. 116-139): P.L. 116-139 provided $1.0 billion to CDC transferred from the Public Health Social Services Emergency Fund (PHSSEF) to support surveillance, epidemiology, laboratory capacity expansion, contact tracing, public health data surveillance and analytics infrastructure modernization, disseminating information about testing, and workforce support necessary to expand and improve COVID–19 testing. In addition, $10.25 billion from the PHSSEF was awarded to health departments through the CDC Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity program for testing and contact tracing.
- Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (P.L. 116-260):
- P.L. 116-260 provided $8.75 billion to CDC to plan, prepare for, promote, distribute, administer, monitor, and track coronavirus vaccines to ensure broad-based distribution, access, and vaccine coverage. On behalf of HHS, $19.11 billion from the PHSSEF was awarded to health departments through the CDC Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity program for testing and contact tracing.
- CDC 24/7 Response to COVID-19pdf iconThe CDC COVID-19 fact sheet provides an overview of CDC’s support for COVID-19 response activities on federal, state, local, territorial and tribal levels. It also highlights CDC’s current COVID-19 efforts.
- CDC COVID-19 State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial (STLT) Funding Fact Sheetpdf iconThe CDC COVID-19 STLT Funding Fact Sheet shows COVID-19 funding by jurisdiction, award, and the four COVID-19 supplemental appropriations.
- CDC COVID-19 Funding for Tribes Fact Sheetpdf iconThe CDC COVID-19 Funding for Tribes Fact Sheet provides information on the funding provided to tribal nations, consortia, and organizations for responding to COVID-19 across tribal communities.
- CDC COVID-19 Global Response Fact Sheetpdf iconThe CDC COVID-19 Global Response Fact Sheet provides an overview of the goals, objectives, activities, and spend plan of CDC’s global response to COVID-19.
- CDC COVID-19 Data Modernization Initiative Fact Sheetpdf iconThe CDC COVID-19 Data Modernization Initiative Fact Sheet discuss how CDC is bringing together state, tribal, local, and territorial (STLT) public health jurisdictions and our private and public sector partners to create modern, interoperable, and real-time public health data and surveillance systems that will protect the American public.
- Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act Fact Sheetpdf iconThe Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act Fact Sheet provides an overview of the critical activities (domestic preparedness, workforce capacity, laboratory capacity, and communication and analytics) in CDC’s plan for public health response and capacity building.
Page last reviewed: January 8, 2021
Content source: Office of Financial Resources (OFR)