The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding
In the United States, most mothers want – and try – to breastfeed. Unfortunately, one mother’s interest alone is not always enough to make breastfeeding possible. Rates of breastfeeding in the United States vary widely because of the multiple and complex barriers mothers face when starting and continuing to breastfeed.
With this Call to Action, the Surgeon General seeks to make it possible for every mother who wishes to breastfeed to be able to do so by shifting how we as a nation think and talk about breastfeeding.
The information below summarizes some of the key findings and action steps from the Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding.
- Public Health Professionals In Action pdf icon[PDF-289KB]
- Doctors In Action pdf icon[PDF-405KB]
- Nurses In Action pdf icon[PDF-363KB]
- Health Care Leaders In Action pdf icon[PDF-399KB]
- Communities In Action pdf icon[PDF-219KB]
- Researchers In Action pdf icon[PDF-202KB]