The Alzheimer’s Disease and Healthy Aging Program (AD+HAP) develops evidence-based, scientific information to educate, inform, and assist in translating its research into public health practice.
Alzheimer’s disease is the 5th leading cause of death for people 65 and older. Nearly 6 million people have Alzheimer’s disease at an annual cost of $291 billion. Sixty-seven percent, or $197 billion, comes from government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. The number of Alzheimer’s disease cases is expected to more than double to 14 million by 2050.
AD+HAP developed the Healthy Brain Initiative Road Map Series and is using it to provide direction to the field of public health across the nation. The road maps help ensure communities are “Alzheimer’s Ready” and are prepared to act strategically to stimulate changes in policies, systems, and environments. The series promotes the health, wellbeing, and independence of older adults, including those with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. AD+HAP works with national partners to assist with the widespread implementation of its road map series.
Key Goals 2018–2023
Early Assessment and Diagnosis
- Support conversations with providers about memory loss and potential cognitive impairment.
- Promote Alzheimer’s disease assessment, early diagnosis, and care planning.
- Communicate about caregiving as a public health issue.
- Provide information to empower caregivers.
Reduce Risk and Improve Outcomes
- Minimize preventable hospitalizations for those with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
- Develop educational materials to promote risk reduction strategies and increase awareness of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
Educating the Public and Work Force
- Educate the public and providers about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, caregiving, and healthy aging.
- Minimize health disparities associated with brain health and caregiving.
Population-level Data for Decisions and Action
- Provide state-level data for action through the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System’s Cognitive Decline and Caregiving Modules