The Vaccine Tracking System (VTrckS), a critical component of the Vaccine Management Business Improvement Project (VMBIP), is a secure, web-based information technology system that integrates the entire publicly-funded vaccine supply chain from purchasing and ordering through distribution to participating state, local, and territorial health departments (referred to as 'awardees') and health care providers. VTrckS was launched at four pilot awardee sites in December 2010; the phased roll-out of the system to all 64 awardees was completed in May 2013.
VTrckS allows health care providers to input their vaccine requests (orders) online, thereby improving efficiency and accountability of public dollars. The system evaluates vaccine orders against specific guidelines set by awardees and the CDC. Most awardees are submitting or plan to submit orders via an external information system (ExIS), such as their state immunization information system (IIS), but some awardees will enroll and train their providers to submit orders directly into VTrckS.
- The Importance of VTrckS
- Benefits to Awardees
- Benefits to Healthcare Providers
VTrckS is integral to supporting current and future requirements for effectively managing and distributing publicly-funded vaccines. The previous technology infrastructure was composed of multiple stand-alone systems developed during the 1990s. As the Vaccines for Children (VFC) and related programs have grown over the past 20 years, the technology needs associated with managing these programs expanded greatly in terms of both scale and complexity. By enabling significant improvements in vaccine order tracking, inventory visibility, fiscal and dosage accountability, and safety response capability at the federal, state, and local levels, the transition to VTrckS represents a crucial enhancement to our nation’s ability to respond to public health crises.
VTrckS dramatically reduce s awardees’ need for manual processes and data entry, and also enables improved visibility into order status, shipment status, and provider inventory. Through VTrckS, awardees can:
- Enroll and manage providers as groups or individuals within a formulary
- Develop and manage spend plans and vaccine formulary
- Place and manage vaccine orders for their providers
- Manage and approve provider-placed orders
- Export vaccine orders from an external information system (ExIS) to VTrckS
- Generate a recommended vaccine order size that is tailored for each health care provider
- Estimate the amount of vaccine that providers will need every month
- Compare health care provider vaccine orders to original estimates
- Generate robust reports with visibility into vaccine orders through distribution as well as account balances
VTrckS reduces providers' administrative costs and enables increased order accuracy through the ability to place and track orders online. Through VTrckS, health care providers can securely:
- Place and track vaccine orders online
- Order vaccine from their state or local external information system (ExIS), as approved by the relevant awardee
- Submit accountability data online, such as doses administered by age eligibility and refrigerator count
- Receive important updates from awardees and CDC
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.