Social Determinants of Health
- U.S. Health in International Health Perspective: Shorter Lives, Poorer Health, National Research Council and Institute of Medicine (2013).
- Social Determinants of Health Meeting Report
December 9–10, 2008, CDC convened an external consultation on Addressing Social Determinants of Health: Accelerating the Prevention and Control of HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB, in Atlanta, Georgia to identify key short- and long-term priorities for addressing social determinants of HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, STDs, and TB.
- WHO Commission on Social Determinants of Health
- For the Public’s Health: The Role of Measurement in Action and Accountability, Institute of Medicine (2010)
- Promoting Health Equity: A Resource to Help Communities Address Social Determinants of Health, CDC (2008)
- Tackling Health Inequalities: A Programme for Action, UK Department of Health (2008)
- Social Determinants Themes, World Health Organization (2008)
- Report on Childhood Poverty, Center for American Progress (2007)
- Hanna, David B., Selik, Richard M., Tang, Tian and Gange, Stephen J. Disparities among US states in HIV-related mortality in persons with HIV infection, 2001–2007. AIDS 26(1):95-103 (2012).
- Bethany, G Everett. Sexual Orientation Disparities in Sexually Transmitted Infections: Examining the Intersection Between Sexual Identity and Sexual Behavior. Arch Sex Behav (2012).
- Sharpe TT, Voûte C, Rose MA, Cleveland J, Dean HD, Fenton K. (2012) Social determinants of HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases among black women: implications for health equity. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012 Mar;21(3):249-54. Epub 2011 Dec 23.
- APHA Journal Supplement: special issue on Racial/Ethnic Discrimination and Health.
- Public Health Reports July/August 2010 supplement (Volume 125, supplement 4) focuses on Social Determinants of Health in the Prevention and Control of HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Infections and Tuberculosis.
- Guest Editorial: Addressing Social Determinants of Health in the Prevention and Control of HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STIs, and TB, Kevin A. Fenton and Hazel D. Dean.
- Include a Social Determinants of Health Approach to Reduce Health Inequities, David S. Satcher.
- Social Determinants of Health and Health-Care Solutions, William H. Foege.
- Surveillance of Health Status in Minority Communities — Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health Across the U.S. (REACH U.S.) Risk Factor Survey, United States, 2009, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (2011).
- CDC Health Disparities and Inequalities Report, United States, 2011, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (2011).
- The Journal of Equity in Health, The Journal of Equity in Health (2009).
- Ackerson, L.K. & Viswanath, K. (2009) Communication Inequalities, Social Determinants, and Intermittent Smoking in the 2003 Health Information National Trends Survey.Preventing Chronic Disease: Public Health Research, Practice, and Policy; 6(2).
- Banks, J. & Marmot M. (2006) Oldfield Z, Smith JP. Disease and Disadvantage in the United States and in England. JAMA. 295(17): 2037-2045.
- Evans, R., Barer, M. & Marmor ,T. (1994) Why are some People Healthy and Others Not? The Determinants of Health of Populations. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- EuroHealthNet. (2009) Capacity Building & Awareness Raising Actions.
- Institute of Medicine. (2006) Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Healthcare. Washington, D. C.: The National Academy Press.
- Jones, CP. (2000) Levels of Racism: A Theoretic Framework and a Gardener's Tale. Am J Public Health. 90(8):1212-1215.
- Marmot, M. (2005) Social Determinants of Health Inequalities. The Lancet; 365: 1099-1104.
- Marmot, M. & Wilkinson, R. (eds). (1999) Social Determinants of Health. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Raphael, D. (2004) Introduction. In D Raphael (Ed.), Social Determinants of Health: Canadian Perspectives. Toronto: Canadian Scholar's Press.
- Wilcox, L. (2007) (ed.) Preventing Chronic Disease: Public Health Research, Practice, and Policy, 4(4).
To request additional publications be added to this page, e-mail us at OHEinquires@cdc.gov.