Legal Basis for Population Health
This self-paced, online course covers public health laws in Michigan. Participants examine the legal basis of population health and how it shapes public health responsibilities. The course includes video presentations, readings, and exercises. It contains 5 parts:
- Part 1: Nature, scope, and administration of public health authority in Michigan; legal basis for population health; and how to recognize legal issues, interpret legal documents, and communicate with attorneys.
- Part 2: Laws and surveillance, outbreak investigations, and interventions under the Michigan Public Health Code.
- Part 3: Expanding public health into new areas (such as genomics and the prevention of obesity, and domestic violence).
- Part 4: Local, state, and federal aspects of environmental regulation.
- Part 5: Legal issues involved in contracting with the private sector.