Facts About Noroviruses on Cruise Ships
Norovirus is a very contagious virus. You can get norovirus from an infected person, from contaminated food or water, or by touching contaminated surfaces. The virus causes your stomach or intestines or both to get inflamed (acute gastroenteritis). This leads you to have stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea and to throw up.
Why noroviruses are associated with cruise ships
- Health officials track illness on cruise ships. So outbreaks are found and reported more quickly on a cruise ship than on land.
- Close living quarters may increase the amount of group contact.
- People joining the ship may bring the virus to other passengers and crew.
For more information about noroviruses on cruise ships,
- Page last reviewed: June 17, 2013
- Page last updated: August 5, 2013
- Content source: