Signs & Symptoms of Mumps
Español: Signos y síntomas de las paperas
Up to half of people who get mumps have very mild or no symptoms, and therefore do not know they were infected with mumps.
The most common symptoms include:
- Muscle aches
- Loss of appetite
- Swollen and tender salivary glands under the ears on one or both sides (parotitis)
Symptoms typically appear 16-18 days after infection, but this period can range from 12-25 days after infection.
- Mumps: Information for Parents [2 pages]
- Clinical description of classic symptoms of mumps
Clinical manifestations of mumps
- Mumps: Questions and Answers [4 pages]
Ready-to-print version of one of the CDC-reviewed Q&A materials located on Immunization Action Coalition's website (www.vaccineinformation.org).
- Page last reviewed: November 12, 2009
- Page last updated: March 14, 2010
- Content source: