Public Health Genomics Program Review
7.0 Publication List
This section provides a list of all scientific articles by OPHG staff published in peer-reviewed journals in FY2008.
- Berry RJ, Carter HK, and Yang QH. Cognitive impairment in older Americans in the age of folic acid fortification. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86: 265-267.
- Boulet SL, Yang Q, Mai C, Kirby RS, Collins JS, Robbins JM, et al. Trends in the postfortification prevalence of spina bifida and anencephaly in the United States. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2008 Jul;82(7):527-32.
- Bradley LA, Khoury MJ. Why should genomic medicine become more evidence-based? Genomic Med 2007. Also available from URL: http://www.springerlink.com/content/e839702344j416v0/fulltext.pdf
- Burton PR, Hansell AL, Fortier I, Manolio TA, Khoury MJ, Little J, Elliott P. Size matters: just how big is BIG? Quantifying realistic sample size requirements for human genome epidemiology. Int J Epidemiol. 2008;1–11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chang M, Groseclose SL, Zaidi AA, Braden CR. An ecological analysis of sociodemographic factors associated with the incidence of salmonellosis, shigellosis, and E. coli O157:H7 infections in US counties. Epidemiol Infect. 2008 Oct 24:1-11. [Epub ahead of print].
- Chang M, Lindegren ML, Butler MA, Chanock SJ, Dowling NF, Gallagher M, Moonesinghe R, Moore CA, Ned RM, Reichler MR, Sanders CL, Welch R, Yesupriya A, Khoury MJ, for the CDC/NCI NHANES III Genomics Working Group, Prevalence in the United States of Selected Candidate Gene Variants: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1991-1994. American Journal of Epidemiology 2008;[Epub ahead of print October 20, 2008] Also available from URL: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/kwn286
- Coates RJ, Khoury MJ, Gwinn M. (editorial) Five Genetic Variants Associated with Prostate Cancer. N Engl J Med 2008;358(25):2738.
- Coates RJ, Kolor K, Stewart SL, Richardson LC. Diagnostic markers for ovarian cancer screening: not ready for routine clinical use. Letter. Clin Cancer_Res 2008;14(22) 7575-6.
- Gwinn M, Guessous I, Khoury M. Intention to analyze in pharmacogenomics studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Mar;17(3):740; author reply 740-1. No abstract available. PMID: 18349299 [PubMed - in process]
- Gwinn M, Khoury MJ. Principles of human genome epidemiology. Book chapter in: Handbook of Genomic Medicine (2008 in press)
- Hennig BJ, Frodsham AJ, Hellier S, Knapp S, Yee LJ, Wright M, et al. Influence of IL-10RA and IL-22 polymorphisms on outcome of hepatitis C virus infection. Liver Int. 2007 Oct;27(8):1134-43.
- Hao L, Yang QH, Li Z, Bailey LB, Zhu JH, Hu DJ, et al. Folate status and homocysteine response to folic acid doses and withdrawal among young Chinese women in a large-scale randomized double-blind trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;88: 448-457.
- Hunter D, Khoury MJ, Drazen JM. Letting the genome out of the bottle - will we get our wish? N Engl J Med 2008;358(2):105-7. Also available from URL: http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/358/2/105.
- Jain V, Armah HB, Tongren JE, Ned RM, Wilson NO, Crawford S, et al. Plasma IP-10, apoptotic and angiogenic factors associated with fatal cerebral malaria in India. Malar J 2008;7:83.
- Janssens AC, Gwinn M, Bradley LA, Oostra BA, van Duijn CM, Khoury MJ. A critical appraisal of the scientific basis of commercial genomic profiles used to assess health risks and personalize health interventions. Am J Hum Genet. 2008 Mar;82(3):593-9. PMID: 18319070 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Janssens AC, Moonesinghe R, Yang Q, Steyerberg EW, van Duijn CM, Khoury MJ.
The impact of genotype frequencies on the clinical validity of genomic profiling
for predicting common chronic diseases. Genet Med. 2007;9(8):528-35.
- Khoury MJ, Bowen S, Bradley LA, Coates R, Dowling NF, Gwinn M, Kolor K, Moore CA, St. Pierre J, Valdez R, Yoon PW, A Decade of Public Health Genomics in the United States: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 1997 – 2007. Public Health Genomics 2009;12:20–29.
- Khoury MJ, Valdez R, Albright A, Public Health Genomics Approach to Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes 2008 Nov;57(11):2911-2914.
- Khoury MJ, Gwinn M. Why do we need public health in the era of genomic medicine? Book chapter. In Willard H et al. (eds). Handbook of Genomic Medicine (2008 in press)
- Khoury MJ, Berg A, Coates R, Evans J, Teutsch S, Bradley LA. The Evidence Dilemma in Genomic Medicine: What is the appropriate threshold between research and practice? (Submitted to Health Affairs, November, 2007).
- Khoury MJ, Millikan R, Gwinn ML. Genetic and molecular epidemiology. Chapter In Rothman KJ et al. (eds). Modern Epidemiology, third edition, in press (2007). THIS WAS PUBLISHED IN 2008.
- Lund MJ, Trivers KF, Porter PL, Coates RJ, Leyland-Jones B, Brawley OW, Flagg EW, O'Regan RM, Gabram SG, Eley JW. Race and triple negative threats to breast cancer survival: a population-based study in Atlanta, GA. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008 Published electronically in March.
- Moonesinghe R, Khoury MJ, Liu T, Ioannidis JPA. Required sample size and non-replicability thresholds for heterogeneous genetic associations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. January 15, 2008; 105 (2): 617 – 22.
- Ntzani EE, Khoury MJ, Ioannidis JPA. Combining molecular and genetic data from different sources. Chapter in IARC Molecular Epidemiology Monograph (2008 in press)
- Philipp CS, Faiz A, Dowling NF, Beckman M, Owens S, Ayers C, et al. Development of a screening tool for identifying women with menorrhagia for hemostatic evaluation. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2008;198:163.e1-163.e8. (February 2008 issue)
- Robitaille J, Yoon PW, Irizarry-Delacruz M, Liu T, Moore CA, Looker AC, Khoury MJ. Prevalence, Family History, and Prevention of Reported Osteoporosis in U.S. Women. Am J Prev Med. July 2008; 35(1):47-54.
- Scheuner MT and Yoon PW. The use of family history in clinical medicine and public health. In: Handbook of Genomic Medicine. Willard H, Ginsburg G, eds. New York: ELSEVIER (in press).
- Teutsch SM, Bradley LA, Palomaki GE, Haddow JE, Piper M, Calonge N, Dotson WD, Douglas MP, Berg AO, Chair, on behalf of the EGAPP™ Working Group, The Evaluation of Genomic Applications in Practice and Prevention (EGAPP™) initiative: methods of the EGAPP™ Working Group. Genet Med 2008:10(10):000–000.
- Trivers KF, Shaw KM, Sabatino SA, Shapiro JA, Coates RJ, Trends in Colorectal Cancer Screening Disparities in People Aged 50–64 Years, 2000–2005. Am J Prev Med. 2008;35(3):185–193.
- Whitford DL, McGee H, O’Sullivan B, Will People with Type 2 Diabetes Speak to Family Members about Health Risk? Diabetes Care 2008;[Epub ahead of print November 18, 2008]
- Yang QH, Botto LD, Gallagher M, Friedman JM, Sanders CL, Koontz D, et al. Prevalence and effects of gene-gene and gene-nutrient interactions on serum folate and serum total homocysteine concentrations in the United States: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey DNA Bank. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jul;88(1):232-46.
- Yang QH, Carter HK, Mulinare J, Berry RJ, Friedman JM, and Erickson JD. Race-ethnicity differences in folic acid intake in women of childbearing age in the United States after folic acid fortification: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001-2002. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85: 1409-1416.
- Yanni E, Grosse SD, Yang Q, Olney RS. Trends in Pediatric Sickle Cell Disease-Related Mortality in the United States, 1983-2002. J Pediatr 2008 Nov 22 (online)
- Yesupriya A, Gwinn M, Khoury MJ. Building a knowledge base on genetic variation and cancer risk through field synopses. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2009;101:4-5.
- Yesupriya A, Yu W, Clyne M, Gwinn M, Khoury MJ. The continued need to synthesize the results of genetic associations across multiple studies. Genet Med. 2008 Jul 16. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available. PMID: 18641511.
- Yesupriya A, Evangelou E, Kavvoura FK, Patsopoulos NA, Clyne M, Walsh MC, Lin BK, Yu W, Gwinn M, Ioannidis JP, Khoury MJ. Reporting of Human Genome Epidemiology (HuGE) association studies: an empirical assessment. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008 May 20;8(1):31. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 18492284 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Yeung L, Yang Q, Berry RJ. Contributions of total daily intake of folic acid to serum folate concentrations. JAMA 300:2486-7.
- Yu W, Gwinn M, Clyne M, Yesupriya A, Khoury MJ. A navigator for human genome epidemiology. Nat Genet. 2008 Feb;40(2):124-5.
- Yu W, Clyne M, Dolan SM, Yesupriya A, Wulf A, Liu T, Khoury MJ, Gwinn M. GAPscreener: An automatic tool for screening human genetic association literature in PubMed using the support vector machine technique. BMC Bioinformatics 2008, 9:205 (22 April 2008)
- Yu W, Wulf A, Yesupriya A, Clyne M, Khoury MJ, Gwinn M. HuGE Watch: tracking trends and patterns of published studies of genetic association and human genome epidemiology in near-real time. Eur J Hum Genet. 2008 May 14. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 18478035 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Yu W, Wulf A, Liu T, Khoury MJ and Gwinn M. Gene Prospector: An evidence gateway for evaluating potential susceptibility genes and interacting risk factors for human diseases. BMC Bioinformatics 2008, 9:528