Excessive alcohol use, including underage drinking and binge drinking (drinking 5 or more drinks on an occasion for men or 4 or more drinks on an occasion for women), can lead to increased risk of health problems such as injuries, violence, liver diseases, and cancer. The CDC Alcohol Program works to strengthen the scientific foundation for preventing excessive alcohol use. Program Overview.
- Vital Signs: Alcohol Poisoning Deaths in the US, 2010–2012
- Prevalence of Alcohol Dependence Among US Adult Drinkers, 2009–2011
- A Shot of Truth: Myth Busting Excessive Alcohol Use
- The Surprising Link Between Alcohol and Cancer
- Binge Drinking Video
- Regulating Alcohol Outlet Density: An Action Guide
Infographic: What is excessive alcohol use?
- Page last reviewed: February 25, 2015
- Page last updated: February 25, 2015
- Content source: