Understanding Elder Abuse [PDF 185KB]
This fact sheet provides a basic overview of elder abuse. It is intended for the general public.
World Report on Violence and Health [PDF 148 KB]
This report is the first comprehensive review of violence on a global scale. Chapter 5 provides detailed information on elder abuse.
- Definitions: Consistent definitions are necessary for obtaining accurate and reliable estimates of elder abuse.
- Data Sources: Data, including the number of violence-related injuries and deaths, help define the magnitude of the problem.
- Risk & Protective Factors: Risk and protective factors are important considerations in the development of prevention programs.
- Consequences: Elder abuse can have a devastating impact on victims, families, and communities.
- Prevention Strategies: Knowledge about what works to prevent elder abuse is growing.
To report elder abuse or find services for older adults and their families, visit The Eldercare Locator.
You can also access the Locator by calling 1-800-677-1116.
The Eldercare Locator is a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging.