Encouraging Your Practice to Improve Maternal Vaccination
Resources for speaking with your team:
Vaccination is a team effort. It requires everyone in your practice—clinicians and support staff—to be involved in the following steps:
- Routine assessment of patient vaccination status
- Education and recommendation of needed vaccines
- Referral or administration of vaccines
- Documentation of administered vaccines
Sharing these responsibilities across the patient care team reduces burden on clinicians, and ensures that patients hear a clear, consistent message about the importance of vaccination from the whole practice.
3 tips for creating a team-based approach:
- Get your team on the same page about the importance of maternal vaccination.
- Create a standardized process for patient vaccination with clear roles and responsibilities.
- Use standing orders to designate authorized staff to assess whether patients are due for vaccination and administer needed vaccines.
- For vaccines you don’t stock, designate a staff person to follow up with patients to confirm whether recommended vaccines were received and document accordingly.
- Make sure your team has the training and resources they need to take on their respective roles.