Lung Disease including Asthma and Adult Vaccination
Each year thousands of adults in the United States get sick from diseases that could be prevented by vaccines — some people are hospitalized, and some even die. People with asthma or COPD are at higher risk for serious problems from certain vaccine-preventable diseases. Getting vaccinated is an important step in staying healthy. If you have lung disease, talk with your doctor about getting your vaccinations up-to-date.
- Adults with COPD or asthma are more likely to get complications from the flu.
- COPD and asthma cause your airways to swell and become blocked with mucus, which can make it hard to breathe. Certain vaccinepreventable diseases can also increase swelling of your airways and lungs. The combination of the two can lead to pneumonia and other serious respiratory illnesses.
- Vaccines are one of the safest ways for you to protect your health, even if you are taking prescription medications. Vaccine side effects are usually mild and go away on their own. Severe side effects are very rare.
- Immunization provides the best protection against vaccine-preventable diseases.
Answer a few questions to find out which vaccines you may need. Take your customized printout to your next medical appointment.
There may be other vaccines recommended for you based on your lifestyle, travel habits, and other factors. Talk to your healthcare professional about which vaccines are right for you.
You may regularly see your COPD or asthma specialist, or maybe your primary care provider. Either is a great place to start! If your healthcare professional does not offer the vaccines you need, ask for a referral so you can get the vaccines elsewhere. Adults can get vaccines at doctors’ offices, pharmacies, workplaces, community health clinics, health departments and other locations. To find a place near you to get a vaccine, go to http://vaccine.healthmap.orgexternal icon. Most health insurance plans cover recommended vaccines. Check with your insurance provider for details and for a list of vaccine providers covered by your plan. If you do not have health insurance, visit www.healthcare.govexternal icon to learn more about health insurance options.
- Asthma Home
- Vaccinations for Adults with Lung Diseasepdf iconexternal icon
- For Adults with ASTHMA: Important information about a dangerous infectionpdf iconexternal icon
- Lo que necesita saber sobre la epoc, el asma y las vacunas para los adultos pdf icon[1 page]
- What You Need to Know About COPD, Asthma and Adult Vaccines pdf icon[1 page]