Fast Facts and Fact Sheets
- Smoking leads to disease and disability and harms nearly every organ of the body.1
- Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death.
- The tobacco industry spends billions of dollars each year on cigarette advertising and promotions.4
- Smoking costs the United States billions of dollars each year.1,5
- State spending on tobacco prevention and control does not meet CDC-recommended levels.1,6,7
- 15.5% of all adults (37.8 million people): 17.5% of males, 13.5% of females were current cigarette smokers in 2016.9
- Thousands of young people start smoking cigarettes every day.1
- Many adult cigarette smokers want to quit smoking.
Featured Fact Sheets
Fact Sheets by Topic
- Page last reviewed: April 3, 2018
- Page last updated: July 10, 2018
- Content source: