Fast Facts and Fact Sheets
- Smoking leads to disease and disability and harms nearly every organ of the body.1
- Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death.
- The tobacco industry spends billions of dollars each year on cigarette advertising and promotions.4
- Smoking costs the United States billions of dollars each year.1,5
- State spending on tobacco prevention and control does not meet CDC-recommended levels.1,6,7
- 15.1% of all adults (36.5 million people): 16.7% of males, 13.6% of females were current cigarette smokers in 2015.8
- Thousands of young people start smoking cigarettes every day.1
- Many adult cigarette smokers want to quit smoking.
Featured Fact Sheets
Fact Sheets by Topic
- Page last reviewed: February 9, 2017
- Page last updated: February 9, 2017
- Content source: