Sodium Reduction Resources for Health Professionals
- Comparison of Label and Laboratory Sodium Values in Popular Sodium-Contributing Foods in the United States
- Study of US adults finds strong association between higher sodium excretion and higher blood pressure, and association between higher potassium excretion and lower blood pressure
- Study examines US consumers’ attitudes over time about actions or policies to limit sodium in a range of food environments
- Potential impact on US sodium intake when voluntary sodium standards are applied for commercially processed and prepared foods
- Study estimates 24-hour sodium intake and urinary potassium excretion in US adults
- Study of US adults shows that receiving advice from health professionals to reduce sodium may lead to sodium reduction behavior
- Trends in Blood Pressure and Usual Dietary Sodium Intake Among Children and Adolescents, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003–2016
- Sodium Reduction: Policy Evidence Assessment Report (PEAR) [PDF-5.09MB] assessed the best available evidence for six state or local policy interventions that aim to reduce sodium intake in the United States.
- Sodium Reduction: State Policy Interventions by Evidence Level summarizes six state and local policy interventions for sodium reduction by evidence level.
- Sodium and Potassium Intake: Effects on Chronic Disease Outcomes and Risks evidence regarding the effects of dietary sodium reduction and increased potassium intake on blood pressure and risk for cardiovascular diseases (CVD) and renal disease outcomes and related risk factors.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) reports related to sodium and potassium.
- Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) for Sodium and Potassium was jointly funded by the US and Canadian governments to review the scientific evidence and update, as appropriate, the DRIs for sodium and potassium.
- Strategies to Reduce Sodium Intake in the United States focuses on strategies to reduce the sodium intake of the US population
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) offers information about its approach to lowering sodium in the food supply.
Page last reviewed: August 23, 2022