Final Rules for Control of Communicable Diseases: Interstate and Foreign – Scope and Definitions
Two direct final rules were published on December 26, 2012, that amend the Interstate and Foreign Quarantine Regulations. The public comment period through a simultaneously published notice of proposed rulemaking ended on January 25, 2013. The updates reorganize the Scope and Definitions for 42 Code of Federal Regulations Part 70 (Interstate Quarantine) and 42 CFR Part 71 (Foreign Quarantine) to reflect modern terminology and plain language used in practice by industry and public health partners.
The updates enhance definitions related to control of communicable diseases and use current medical terminology where appropriate. The final rules are the first step in helping modernize the federal quarantine regulations.
Updates to Part 70 include revision of two existing definitions and addition of seven new definitions to help clarify the provisions, as well as updates to section 70.6 that reflect the most recent Executive Orderexternal icon on quarantinable communicable diseases.
Updates to Part 71 include revision of six existing definitions; addition of 11 new definitions to help clarify the provisions; creation of a new scope and definitions section for importations; and updates to section 71.32(a) that reflect the language in the most recent Executive Orderexternal icon on quarantinable communicable diseases.
Please see the docket details on FederalRegister.gov for
- 42 CFR Part 70 Control of Communicable Diseases: Interstate; Scope and Definitionsexternal icon, and
- 42 CFR Part 71 Control of Communicable Diseases: Foreign; Scope and Definitionsexternal icon
The final rules are effective as of February 25, 2013.
- Specific Laws and Regulations Governing the Control of Communicable Diseases
- Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine
- 42 CFR, Part 70: Interstate Quarantineexternal icon
- 42 CFR, Part 71: Foreign Quarantineexternal icon
- Amendment to Executive Order 13295: Quarantinable Communicable Diseasesexternal icon