Commercial Ice Maker Users
Note: This information supersedes the "Issuing and Rescinding a Boil Water Advisory" portion of the Cryptosporidium and Water Handbook.
During A Boil Water Advisory
Discard ice made prior to the boil water advisory issuance and discontinue making ice. Use commercially-manufactured ice.
When the Boil Water Advisory is Cancelled
- Flush the water line to the machine inlet:
- Close the valve on the water line behind the machine and disconnect the water line from the machine inlet.
- Open the valve, run 5 gallons of water through the valve, and dispose of the water.
- Close the valve.
- Replace any in-line filters.
- Flush the water lines in the machine:
- Reconnect the water line to the machine outlet.
- Open the valve.
- Turn on the machine.
- Make ice for 1 hour and dispose of the ice.
- Clean and disinfect all parts and surfaces that come in contact with water and ice, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Page last reviewed: February 20, 2015
- Page last updated: February 20, 2015
- Content source: