Preparedness and Emergency Response Learning Centers (PERLC) Fact Sheet
The Preparedness and Emergency Response Learning Centers (PERLC) cooperative agreement program represents the next iteration of the Centers for Public Health Preparedness (CPHP) program, which closed in August 2010.
The purpose of the PERLC program is to develop, deliver, and evaluate core competency-based training and education that targets the public health workforce and addresses the public health preparedness and response needs of state, local, and tribal public health authorities.
The PERLC will:
- Provide core competency-based training to state, local, and tribal public health authorities within self-defined service areas. The training will target mid-level public health workers and be based on the Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH) / CDC Public Health Preparedness and Response Core Competencies.
- Meet partners’ unique workforce development needs in the area of public health preparedness and response by providing specialized training, education, exercise consultation and products not addressed through the core competency-based curricula.
- Serve in a national capacity, collaborating across and sharing resources within the network of grantees.
The PERLC program aligns with two strategic objectives from The National Health Security Strategy (NHSS):
- Strategic objectives two: develop and maintain the workforce needed for national health security (objective 2).
- Ensure that all systems that support national health security are based upon the best available science, evaluation, and quality improvement methods (objective ten).
Each of the following 14 accredited schools of public health will be funded at $937,657 for FY 2011:
- Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY
- Harvard University School of Public Health, Boston, MA
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
- Texas A&M School of Rural Public Health, College Station, TX
- University at Albany SUNY School of Public Health, Albany, NY
- University of Alabama School of Public Health, Birmingham, AL
- University of Arizona College of Public Health, Tuscan, AZ
- University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois
- University of Iowa College of Public Health, Iowa City, IA
- University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, MN
- University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health, Chapel Hill, NC
- University of Oklahoma College of Public Health, Oklahoma City, OK
- University of South Florida College of Public Health , Tampa, FL
- University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, WA
For more information, please visit the following website: http://www.cdc.gov/cpr/training.htm or contact Joan Cioffi, PERLC Program Official, Learning Office, Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at email@example.com or 404-639-7652.