A Primer on Doing IT Business with CDC
Understand the work to be done. With respect to the CDC, developing this understanding means a thorough review of CDC mission and programmatic needs for information technology solutions should be conducted. That review should include knowledge and technical understanding of the agency’s strategic and tactical IT needs based on publicly available information available from the CDC Web site, published scientific knowledge, and CITSP document as well as an understanding of the Congressional appropriation process.
Understand the Federal government needs, rules, processes, and culture. Developing this understanding means an awareness of your company’s resources and approach and the Federal work environment to assess the degree of alignment for an effective approach. Particular attention should focus on the domain area of the federal agency, which is public health practice in the case of CDC.
Understand the various Federal government mechanisms involved in commissioning work.
- Become familiar with the Federal Acquisition Regulation Web site as it will be invaluable for learning about the procurement process.
- Learn about business opportunities with the Federal government at FedBizOpps, which is the single government point of entry for Federal government procurement opportunities over $25,000. Commercial vendors seeking Federal markets for their products and services can search, monitor, and retrieve opportunities solicited by the Federal contracting community.
- Visit the Small Business Administration for small business program eligibility information, counseling, and program certification.
- Be listed in electronic catalogs. The General Services Administration (GSA) is the Federal government’s business manager, buyer, real estate developer, telecommunications manager, and IT solutions provider. The GSA Web site provides information on becoming a Federal contractor, being listed in electronic catalogs and obtaining information necessary in dealing with the Federal Government. Also visit the U.S. Business Advisor.
CDC Business Practices
The CDC Procurement and Grants Office (PGO) is responsible for the procurement of services, equipment, commodities, construction, and architectural and engineering services for CDC Programs, including IT investments. However as noted above, a variety of mechanisms or vehicles are available for conducting business with the CDC. Visit CDC Business Practices to see if one of the many vehicles listed there might suit your business requirements.
- Page last reviewed: May 23, 2016
- Page last updated: August 18, 2014
- Content source: