MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY AT WORK
The NIOSH Center for Motor Vehicle Safety (CMVS), with our partners, conducts research and develops strategies to prevent work-related motor vehicle crashes and injuries.
What We Do
- Identify risk factors for work-related crashes
- Apply engineering and technology-based safety interventions
- Promote evidence-based policies and practices
- Share NIOSH research with global partners
- Communicate safety and policy recommendations
Learn about the impact of our work in the Center for Motor Vehicle Safety Program Performance One-Pager.
All workers who are exposed to hazards of motor vehicle traffic while working have the highest possible levels of protection from the risk of motor vehicle crashes and resulting injuries.
To use a multidisciplinary approach to conduct research, evaluate interventions, communicate prevention information, and foster partnerships to protect workers from work-related motor vehicle crashes and resulting injuries.
For optimum use of resources and greatest potential for impact, we will:
- Maintain awareness of current research conducted elsewhere in the federal government and in other settings to avoid duplication of effort and identify opportunities for collaboration
- Leverage resources to add value and to facilitate the motor vehicle injury prevention efforts of partners and stakeholders in industry, government, labor, academia, and non-governmental organizations
- Target motor vehicle crash risks for high-risk worker groups and for the broader population of workers exposed to hazards of motor vehicle traffic
- Communicate research findings and recommendations to stakeholders who are positioned to take action to improve motor vehicle safety in the workplace
- Encourage stakeholders to undertake evaluations of existing and innovative strategies designed to enhance work-related road safety