Mining Product: S-Pillar - Software for Stone Mine Pillar Design
Original creation date: January 2011
The S-Pillar software is used for stone mine pillar design.
It was written to assist in the design of stable pillars for room-and-pillar workings in underground stone mines. The calculation methods used in S-Pillar are based on observation of actual pillar performance in 34 different underground operations in the eastern and midwestern United States.
New to version 1.1:
- Table 3 in the help system updated:
- Modified pillar dimensions and recalculated pillar stress for cases No. 17 & 18 based on recent investigations and underground measurements. Pillar stress based on FLAC3D analysis.
- Modified pillar dimension of case No. 4, now based on “mined” dimensions measured from mine map, previously dimensions were based on “planned dimensions” as measured in the panel adjacent to the failed pillar.
- The x-axis on the factor of safety chart has been updated to plot the minimum width-to-height ratio instead of the effective width-to-height ratio.
Download the EXE setup program and run to install on your machine.
Authors: G Esterhuizen, MM Murphy
Audience: Engineers/designers who are responsible for mine layout design in stone mines
Software (Windows) - October 2017
Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 2011 Jan
- Analysis of Multiple Seam Stability
- Analysis of Pillar Design Practices and Techniques for U.S. Limestone Mines
- A Computer Software Program that Estimates Air Quantity Requirements in Large Opening Stone Mines
- Effects of Weak Bands on Pillar Stability in Stone Mines: Field Observations and Numerical Model Assessment
- Pillar and Roof Span Design Guidelines for Underground Stone Mines
- Pillar and Roof Span Design in Stone Mines
- Pillar Design Issues for Underground Stone Mines
- Pillar Stability Issues Based on a Survey of Pillar Performance in Underground Limestone Mines
- Pillar Strength and Design Methodology for Stone Mines
- Pillar Strength in Underground Stone Mines in the United States
- Roof Span Design for Underground Stone Mines
- Technology News 516 - ARMPS-HWM: New Software for Sizing Pillars for Highwall Mining
- Underground Stone Mine Pillar Design in Challenging Conditions
- Page last reviewed: 10/29/2017
- Page last updated: 10/29/2017
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program